MnDOT has evaluated Hwy 61 to identify improvements to help with safety and traffic flow through the corridor, specifically at the Hwy 61/Hwy 316 intersection in Goodhue County. Through this evaluation, MnDOT has made recommendations on:
· Improving intersection safety for all users
· Improving ways to safely get to and from the highway
· Shortening wait times and keeping traffic moving
· Bicycle facilities and connections and
· Improved intersection conditions to accommodate future development in the area
After studying these findings, MnDOT identified that a roundabout will be constructed to improve safety by reducing speed at the busy intersection.
At the same time, MnDOT will make additional safety improvements and make connections for bicyclists with the addition of a trail that goes around the new intersection and connects to the on-road Mississippi River Trail system.
Construction is also scheduled in 2022 for the Hwy 61/County Road 18 intersection in Goodhue County.